More scones for Mother's Day! This was the second type we made--they turned out delicious and extremely fragrant! The original recipe at abakingjourney.com calls for coconut cream, but we didn't have any. Instead, we used Kefir (every good Russian household has Kefir) and imitation coconut extract (for some reason we have that lying around??).
It turned out just fine!
You will need
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 7 oz strawberries
- ¾ cups coconut cream (or 3/4 Kefir with 1 teaspoon of imitation coconut extract)
**if you have self-raising flour, you can omit the baking powder and salt because self-rising flour already has baking powder and salt in it!
1. Slice strawberries into small pieces and place into your freezer to harden.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, shredded coconut, baking powder, and salt
* add the butter at room temperature and cut in until crumbly
3. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and add them to the dry ingredients, using your fingers to create a uniform dough. Don't overwork the dough.
4. Add frozen strawberries and knead the dough--try not to press on it too hard!
*chill the dough while your oven is heating.
5. Preheat your oven at 350 degrees F
6. Cut the scones into your preferred size and shape and place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Allow enough space between each scone.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden, and let cool. Serve with jam and cream!