My mom is crazy about scones, so we made some for Mother's Day! Here's a recipe that's easy to put together and perfect for teatime!
You will need:
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 egg, large
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- ½ cup butter, unsaltedMy mom is crazy about scones, so we made some for Mother's Day! Here's a recipe that's easy to put together and perfect for teatime!
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
**if you have self-raising flour, you can omit the baking powder and salt because self-raising flour already has baking powder in it!
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (from the zested orange)
- ½ teaspoon orange zest (reserved from above)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, half and half, and most of the orange zest (reserve about ½ teaspoon for the glaze); set aside.
4. Rub cold butter pieces into the flour mixture with your fingers until it looks crumbly. Stir in the chopped cranberries.
5. Add the egg mixture to the flour and stir until everything clumps together. Dump mixture onto a floured countertop and, with floured hands, gather into a ball and knead once or twice to combine. If it's really sticky, add more flour. Cut dough into two equal pieces and pat each circle about ¾ inch thick. Cut each circle like a pie into 8 slices. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a cooling rack and let cool completely before adding the glaze.
7. Glaze: put some waxed paper or newspaper if you're using a cooling rack for the scones. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of orange juice and the zest. Dip tops of scones in the glaze and place them (glaze side up) on the cooling rack.
Best eaten the day of, but will stay fresh for a day or two if carefully wrapped.
Happy eating, and Happy Mother's Day!